Teaching Techniques

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ryanbalch
      Participant

What are ways that you keep students engaged? What are practices you use to run activities?

ryanbalch
      Participant

I’d love to hear how teachers are running activities online. Do you do breakout rooms? Do you use chat?

I am trying a telephone game simulation tomorrow (for my psychology class) where I’ll have students mute their computer and then see how the story changes as people retell it. Would love to hear any tips or thoughts on it.

jbezaire

Wednesday (first day of remote learning for us) I’m giving a Desmos activity (teacher.desmos.com) and letting students self-pace through it (tackle it when you’re ready). I’ve set up a Zoom link and “office hours” in both the morning and the afternoon where students can find me if they have questions about the activity or the content.

That’s a start! We’ll see how it goes and how I can build from there!

jbezaire

First stab at this went REALLY well. Also puts into sharp focus the vast privilege we have — I had 77 students who were on devices logged into both a Desmos activity had access to a Zoom session for help while they worked. Wishing tools like that were available to all.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.